The033th KARC Colloquium

The033th KARC Colloquium was ended. Thank you for the participation.

Date&Time Tuesday November 25, 2003 13:30-14:30
Place Conference room, No.2 Research Bldg. 3Fl. KARC
Lecturer “Multi-scale STM studies of self-organized p-conjugated polymers and molecular assemblies”
Speaker Benjamin GREVIN Ph.D.
Permanent Researcher at DRFMC-CEA-CNRS-UJF,Grenoble,France
Abstract In this seminar, I will more specifically report on multi-scale (from mm to sub-nm) STM/STS and low-current STM measurements on self-organizedp-conjugated polymers, oligomers and monomers mono-molecular thick films. The materials have been selected as model systems in the field of organic/molecular electronics. Amongp-conjugated semiconducting polymers, regioregular head-to-tail head-to-tail coupled (HT-HT) P3ATs constitute one of the most promising families for the realization of organic/plastic electronic devices. Their very regular chain structure promotes polymer self-organization via inter-digitation of alkyl side groups and inter-chainp-stacking. STM/STS experiments performed on poly (3-hexylthiophene) (P3HT) and poly (3-dodecylthiophene) (P3DDT) films organized on HOPG substrates will be presented. Polymer self-organization, conformation and structural heterogeneities will be discussed : i) polycrystalline /amorphous domains and surface coverage on mesoscopic scale ii) sizes, relative orientation of crystalline monodomains and interfaces iii) local polymer conformations (chain folds and molecular weight analysis). We will show how the self-organization of P3ATs films can be changed by: i) varying the polymer concentration in the casting solution and ii) by performing post-deposition annealing. Finally, STS polymer imaging in the LC-STM mode will be demonstrated.
Strategies to be followed for the control of self-organization of molecular species, and for the realization of STM eriments, will be discussed.
Brief Background
  1. 1998 Ph.D. in Physics at the University Joseph-Fourier Grenoble I (France)
  2. 1998-2000 Post-doc and Senior-Assistant,University ofGeneva
  3. 2000-present Permanent Researcher (Equivalent to associate professor),CNRS (FranceNationalCenter for Scientific Research)
Language English
Admission Free
Organizer Shukichi TANAKA Ph.D.
Nanotechnology Group, Kansai Advanced Research Center,Communications Research Laboratory